Can I send and receive SMS using my Aeris SIM?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Photo of Bob Heckmann

Bob Heckmann, Official Rep

• 349 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bob Heckmann

Bob Heckmann, Official Rep

• 349 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
There are two types of SMS - MO (mobile-originated) and MT (mobile-terminated). We support SMS as follows:

• MO-SMS from an M2M device to a regular handset is supported (additional fees apply)
  • MO-SMS from an M2M device to an application server is done via the AerFrame API
  • MT-SMS from an application server to an M2M device is done via the AerFrame API
  • MT-SMS from a regular handset to an M2M device is currently not supported
Photo of Ryan

Ryan

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In the last 7 months have we moved to support the following?

"MT-SMS from a regular handset to an M2M device is currently not supported"
Photo of Stephen Blackburn

Stephen Blackburn, Official Rep

• 47 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ryan

Thank you for your question. This is a feature that has been considered but not committed in the road map currently. When this changes we will update the forum.

Best Regards,
Steve
(Edited)
Photo of John Merlino

John Merlino

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Stephen, I also was hoping to use your Aeris SIMs for a new M2M IOTS device that monitors and alerts on several parameters with text messages to user cell phones.  Now I'm hearing that your service doesn't allow an alert to be delivered to a cell phone.  What kind of IOTS M2M service is that if you can't get alerts?  Is there another way to get notified if a SIM card SMS alert comes about?  Thanks, John
(Edited)
Photo of Kamalani Kamelamela

Kamalani Kamelamela

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In the last 2 years is it not possible to get a phone number to set up the apn from a handset to the m2m device by sms from the handset to the device with the neo sim inside? Is the api the only way to do this?