Cause: AerFrame ErrorCode 6

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Hi, I am trying to send an SMS to my SIM card and I keep receiving the error " Cause: AerFrame ErrorCode 6". My sim card is in a GSM shield plugged into the computer via a USB cord. When I try to ping it it reads "Device not in Data Session". How do I fix this problem and start a data session?
Photo of Ethan Marin

Ethan Marin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Matthew Gilmartin

Matthew Gilmartin, Official Rep

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Ethan,

Can you provide me either the MSISDN or the ICCID of the SIM in question?  If the SIM has not been provisioned for use on a cellular network the SMS will not function.  Furthermore, all SMS to an Aeris SIM card have to be sent via our AerFrame APIs. You cannot send an SMS from a phone or other non-IOT device. 

If you give me the device IDs I can troubleshoot further for you.

Thanks,
Matt Gilmartin
Aeris Suppport Team
Photo of Ethan Marin

Ethan Marin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Matt, 

Here are the the device IDs
MSISDN:
ICCID:

Thank you for your time.

(Edited)
Photo of Ethan Marin

Ethan Marin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

Are there any updates on how to communicate with the SIM and establish a data session?
Photo of Ethan Marin

Ethan Marin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was able to register my SIM, and I now appear to be able to send an SMS. However, the Data Session is still not set up and the Ping doesn't send. Please Respond ASAP if possible
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

Surbhit Saxena, Official Rep

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Ethan,

We are sorry for the delay in response.
I request if you reboot the device if possible and let us know the result?

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena
Photo of Ethan Marin

Ethan Marin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

It seems to be working better now.  I can "send" text messages (as confirmed by Alert Activity Report (23741) describing 25 messages sent) but none are received by my cell phone.  Does this SIM support texting to a cell phone?  It is installed in a GSM shield coupled to an arduino board.

Also, I can send texts to it from the aeris webs site.  They appear to go through, but I can't retrieve the message off the device despite have software which should do that.

Also, do I need to install the APN to the device?

Thank you!
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Ethan,

Thanks for the info.
  • Actually when you send the SMS from the portal then the SIM should receive the SMS.
  • When you send the SMS to any other device from our Aeris SIM then the device should receive the SMS.
  • When you send an SMS from any external network to Aeris SIM then it will not receive the SMS.
So if you send the SMS from our portal then then the SMS is delivered to the SIM.
I have checked the logs on our portal and I am seeing that SMS-MO and MT are being delivered.

I request you to please check the device if its memory or SMS mailbox is full or any other issue as why device is not able to receive SMS?

Hope this helps!
Please let me know if you have any question

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Ethan,

Can we have an update please?

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena
Photo of Sulthan Mohammad

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am getting the same issue. I rebooted my device twice. Not sure if my SIM works. 
I want to know if I can send SMS from my mobile to this SIM. Not sure what number is assigned to my SIM? Where do I fine the number?
Photo of Abraham Fuentes

Abraham Fuentes, Official Rep

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Sulthan,  

As an IoT security feature, the Neo connectivity service doesn’t support MT SMS from a mobile phone. This protects connected devices from potentially abusive network activity from external handsets. You can, however, send SMS to your device two ways:

Via the AerFrame API
Via the green Send SMS button on the device diagnostics page for your device

For information on Neo SMS functionality please visit the associated online documentation:  
https://neo.aeris.com/iot-connectivity/sms-services/

Best Regards,
Neo Support.
(Edited)

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So how do I set up APN in the device. The manufacturer instructions is first to set the master number by sending the SMS. Any help
Photo of Abraham Fuentes

Abraham Fuentes, Official Rep

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Sulthan, 

Generic procedures to set up APN within devices can be found in the getting started section of our online documentation ( Get Started ) please refer to the section "Program your device with the Neo APN " .

Please note unless you moved the SIM or over wrote the APN the device you previously mentioned using SIM ending in "888" should already have the APN programmed. The SIM had its last data session on 01/05/2019, as seen via dashboard.

Regards,
Neo Support.

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have removed the SIM and put it back in the device. And set the APN couple of times. this should have overwritten the APN. But why the timestamp still shows old timestamp.

Also why it says the data is not in session when I ping.
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

Can you please let me know the ICCID of the SIM

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is my situation.

1. my device is Solar GPS cattle tracker
2. the manufacturer instruction says to try the following SMS from my mobile number( i believe it is 4g) to the SIM

pw,123456,center,mymobileumber#

3. Nothing happens, no reply

4. My diagnostics from Neo Aeris web front says, the device is not in data session
5. once i establish the master number in step#2, i should be able to set APN  neo.iot.net

Help me please
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

I tried to send the SMS to the device and it was processed successfully.
Request you to please check

Regards,
Surbhit Saxena

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
but the ping is not working. Here is the message

Thu Jan 24 2019
Please select an operation from the list...

6:37:42 AM$ ping 89185000171133981888
Device not in data session
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

Can you please hard reboot the device?

Thanks,
Surbhit Saxena

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did that many times
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

The device is registered for SMS services and I tried to send SMS the one you mention above and it was successfully processed and also I have received SMS-MO but I have noticed that the device isn't initiating signalling for GPRS Location Update for data session which is independent of APN.

The issue seems to be at device end pls check with the device manufacturer. 

Thanks,
Surbhit
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

Please let us know if any other assistance is required in this issue otherwise please approve case closure?

Thanks,
Surbhit

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not sure what is happening. The device manufacturer says the device works fine and blaming it on SIM card. your story is other way around.

1. my device is Solar GPS cattle tracker
2. the manufacturer instruction says to try the following SMS from my mobile number( i believe it is 4g) to the SIM

3. Nothing happens, no reply
4. once i establish the master number in step#2, then ony i should be able to set APN  neo.iot.net

5. But this APN needs to set up in the device first as per Neo instructions. We placed the following command in a file and copy the file to the device's root directory. Then I also it does not reply anything.

apn,neo.iot.net#

So help me set this up 

Thanks

Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Sultan,

Can you please let me know the message what you are trying to send?
I will send it from here 

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena

Sulthan Mohammad

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i want to set my mobile number as instructed by the mfgr as follows. It is same as step#2 in the earlier post. I cannot give my mobile number here. Can I give it you privately?

Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Please mail us support@aeris.net.
The ticket will be automatically created and we will assist you to troubleshoot the issue
Photo of Surbhit Saxena

• 44 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,

Thank you for creating ticket.
We will be happy to assist you there, Meanwhile I will close this ticket and if you do have any question just reply back

Thanks & Regards,
Surbhit Saxena