Device never registered

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
I'm configuring a SIM800 (in an Adafruit Fona 800/Arduino Uno) to use the following SIM

IMSI:204043397615323
MSISDN:11836683935
ICCID:89185000170713876476
Service name:NEO22337

The following were obtained using the test sketch Fonatest.ino

---> AT+CSQ    +CSQ: 18,0

--> AT+CREG?  +CREG: 0,5

---> AT+CIPSHUT
<--- SHUT OK
---> AT+CGATT=1
<--- OK
---> AT+SAPBR=3,1,"CONTYPE","GPRS"
<--- OK
---> AT+SAPBR=3,1,"APN","neo.iot.net"
<--- OK
---> AT+CSTT="neo.iot.net"
<--- OK
---> AT+SAPBR=1,1
<--- OK
---> AT+CIICR
<--- OK

However, the device page says that the device was never registered (although it does show a data session). Furthermore, sending SMS appears to be succesful but the messages are not received by the recipient.

---> AT+CMGF=1
<--- OK
---> AT+CMGS="16312235116"
<--- > 
> hello212
^Z
Sent!

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Photo of Miguel Zaratiegui

Miguel Zaratiegui

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Sean Zhu

Sean Zhu

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know the following FONA support 2G only.

Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout uFL Version 

Do you know if your SIM support 2G?

I am new to both FONA and SIM, but trying to do something similar to yours.

Sean
Photo of Miguel Zaratiegui

Miguel Zaratiegui

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi Sean

Yes, my setup uses 2G because it only sends SMS. Actually everything was working perfectly; the issue turned out to be that I hadn't read the capabilities of the network closely enough. The SIM can only send SMS between devices within the aeris network, and the receiving devices my FONA was texting were in other networks. The SMS showed as successfully sent, but they were never actually delivered. I asked them to enable SMS to other networks and they kindly agreed. Now my arduino temperature monitor, watching over a critical -80C freezer, is humming along and sends texts to everyone in the lab whenever it sees the temp go above -65C. The only drawback is that the SIM can't receive texts from outside the aeris network, so we can't send commands to the FONA/arduino. There wasn't much we could tell it to do anyway so it's not a big loss, considering the price ( i wanted a way to mute the alarm, prompt for status etc, but meh, we can live without that). I'm paying between 2 and 4$ a month depending on how often it sends texts.

Otherwise, very happy with the service so far!