Registration not working

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
I can't get any new Aeris sim cards to register.  They're provisioned and billed, but no connection to the network.  I first tried our own design equipment which uses a SIM800 GSM module so I could watch the registration attempts try and fail over and over.  Then I tried a known working unlocked GSM capable phone.  The phone will recognize and display the Tmobile carrier ID, but there's no data connection and the Aeris Devices/Diagnostics page says no registration.  

So how does one get this service to work?  Please save me the time asking me if the SIM card has been inserted properly, the answer yes.  And ditto for power. 

One more thing, I'm fairly certain we ordered micro-Sims and we received Standard size.  We bought a cutter, assuming that improper sizing is some kind of Aeris standard practice, but the fit isn't good because the cutter leaves a sloppy edge.  We have to deploy 800 of these things, is it possible to actually get the sim cards in the desired size?
Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Piotr Szyk

Piotr Szyk

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your question. 

In order to help we would require some additional information. Please provide ICCID number of the SIM you are having problem with. 

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Piotr 
Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The ICCID is *4993.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Piotr, using a cutting/punch tool to cut your Std sim size down to Micro (12mm x 15mm) is not working out. The amount of work involved for even 100 cards is going to be a non-starter. We're going to have to scrap what we bought so far and start over. We have a deadline looming for a demo at the end of next week for a large customer. Is there someone we can talk to work out these issues in lieu of this forum?
Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Piotr,

Left more phone messages with both Sales and Tech Support.  We have to resolve the registration problem, and we're looking for Mini (12mm x 15mm) size SIMs.  It would be good if we can get some feedback soon, we're into our third day with this problem without hearing anything.

Steve 
Photo of Norma Pavao

Norma Pavao, Official Rep

• 131 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Steve,

I checked the device logs and see the SIM register on the network but is not able to start a data session.  Can you confirm the APN is set to neo.iot.net?  I also found that the device has purged from the network.  Was it powered down?

Regards,
Norma
Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, the Aeris SIM was removed from our test set. I'll double-check the APN. Are you suggesting that we attempt a data connection anyway, even when your system reports that a SIM is not registered? We can easily monitor the connection status to the tower from the embedded side. Are you implying something about the registration status on your side? Does the reported registration status update only after data is sent/received?

I'm a newcomer here, and I realize it's no fun answering a question that's been asked many times before, but there is my other question about the size of the sims available to order which is still open. Please point me to an faq or another post that I probably missed, I really need an answer.
Photo of Norma Pavao

Norma Pavao, Official Rep

• 131 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

I am assuming you are attempting to have the device successfully transmit data, is that the case?  By removing the device from the test set do you mean the device is powered off?  I want to make sure the device can successfully transmit data.  By initiating data the device should go through the process of registering on the cellular network followed by starting a data session.  Cellular registration is necessary in order for a data session to be initiated.

Regarding the size of the SIMs this link provides the information regarding the SIMs we offer:

http://neo.aeris.com/pricing/

We also offer Micro SIMs via Digi-Key. You can find purchase information for Neo LTE SIM by visiting the Digi-Key online store. The shipment from Digi-Key will include instructions for activating the SIM in the Neo portal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Norma

Photo of Steve Schlanger

Steve Schlanger

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes Norma, we did as you suggested, with yet another delay due to a problem.  Here's what happened (snip from Digikey site): 

Note that the descriptions and part numbers for 1615-1001 and 1615-1004 are swapped.  Yet another batch of SIM ordered (third attempt!!) the correct size was finally received.  Now the problem is that the "Digikey" activation procedure does not recognize our login credentials.  The attempt to create a new account was also unsuccessful because the new account validation email never arrived.

We're now into the third week of what should have been a very simple buy-activate-register-use procedure.  Any ideas would be welcome.

-Steve