sim900 signal strength with arduino

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I am trying to get a sim900 module working with my arduino and I got everything setup and I'm able to send AT commands to it, but when I check the signal strenght with AT+CSQ command I get a reading of 0,0. I set the APN and I'm not sure why I don't get a signal. I have an ATT phone and it has a good signal, shouldn't this have about the same? Will I only get a signal once the device is setup properly, or should it always have a signal?
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Vaibhav Mareddy

Vaibhav Mareddy, Official Rep

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wayne thank you for posting this. 0 refers to signal level of -113dbm or low, can you check the Antenna is connected properly or if possible try with different antenna.
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that it should always have a signal? I shouldn't have to program anything on the sim900 to get a signal?
Photo of Bob Heckmann

Bob Heckmann, Official Rep

• 349 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi Wayne,

Just to confirm:
  • have you referenced Neo's Get Started resources?
  • did you confirm the correct Neo APN is configured in your SIM900 device?
  • what is the physical address where you're looking for coverage?
Regards,
Bob
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Bob,
I have gone through the get started resources several times and confirmed the apn is set correctly, I think. Every apn setting I can set, I set it. Still no signal. I don't understand because i should have good cell coverage. I'm currently in physically located in Windsor CO, but will be returning home to Omaha, NE soon. Both locations should have a strong signal. Can you verify?
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Another thing I noticed is that the AT&T network is forbidden. See below...

AT+COPS=?

+COPS: (3,"AT&T","AT&T","310410"),,(0,1,4),(0,1,2)

Is there another command I have to execute to get it to not be forbidden?

I set the CBAND to:

AT+CBAND?

+CBAND: GSM850_PCS_MODE
Photo of Vaibhav Mareddy

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wayne,
With the NEO sims we only latch on TMO, so ATT forbidden is ok and the band set is correct one. Can you provide last 4 digits of ICCID that is being used and what is your precise location in windsor,co?
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The ICCID of this sim is 89185015032500230346.

Here's the lat long of where I am.
40.444498, -104.922499
Now I'm seeing this for available networks.
AT+COPS=?

+COPS: (1,"T-Mobile ","T-Mobile ","310260"),(3,"AT&T","AT&T","310410"),,(0,1,4),(0,1,2)

But my signal is still 0
AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 0,0
(Edited)
Photo of Vaibhav Mareddy

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It seems to me as an Antenna issue, you do have good coverage. Try checking if something blocks reception of signal. Was this device working before with any other sims?
Photo of Wayne Barkmeier

Wayne Barkmeier

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No. I have tried two different sims with no luck. I was thinking the same thing, but I wanted to check to see if there is a setup step I was missing. Do you know, should it show a signal even if it's not connected to an operator?

It must have some sort of signal, otherwise it wouldn't show available networks, correct?
Photo of Vaibhav Mareddy

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, it should be able to detect some signal level.